Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Finding Motivation in a Closet


There's something about going into your closet and trying on clothes that gives you a bit of motivation to take better care of yourself! I have a bunch of weddings and a few trips coming up this summer that require clothes a notch above my normal shorts and T-shirt wardrobe. So last week I rummaged through the closet and took out some old dresses. I really try not to get too caught up in my image and to love myself at whatever size I am, but it is difficult. Especially when you have fairly recent memories of yourself looking a lot different in a particular piece of clothing. 

I do believe good food is the backbone of a health, but I can't dismiss the importance of exercise. Flexibility, strength and a good metabolism are very important tools to a long, enjoyable life. This past week I have started working on getting my butt moving. Nothing hard-core (I have some issues with my knee and hips that I will some day write about) but I am getting out for 25-30 minute walks. I take them at a fairly brisk pace and oh my goodness I am out of shape. It's amazing what happens when you essentially take two years off from any cardiovascular activity. I also popped a Pilates DVD in for the first time and am actively trying to get a few yoga stretches in every day. The key is consistency. I am trying to not get too wrapped up in my progress or just how well I am doing things. I'm aiming to do something as often as I possibly can. Small goals, baby steps.

It's amazing how much I miss the simple act of moving around and using my body. My entire childhood and all through my teens and early 20s I was an athlete. This was a huge part of my identity and I don't think i ever really appreciated or understood that until a few years back. In 2006 I realized something was missing from my life so I started road races. I absolutely LOVED them. I worked up to running a half marathon and was amazed how much happier I was in my life and thoroughly enjoyed this new sense of purpose. Then I started having some troubles with my knee and soon after I started a family and that part of my life went missing yet again. As I walked yesterday morning watching the sun rise, I felt joy that I haven't felt in a really long time. It felt like saying hello to an old friend.

No comments: