Monday, April 29, 2013

Real Food on a Budget

I think one of the biggest reasons people avoid eating good, real food is that it is too expensive.

Food is expensive, that is a fact and I totally understand how someone on a budget (basically all of us!) has a tough time spending that extra couple of dollars for organic produce, or an extra few dollars for the best meat or dairy in the store. But hopefully, you understand the long-term benefits of eating healthier. Less trips to the doctor, a happier mood, and spending less money buying clothes that fit you as your weight constantly fluctuates are just a few realities I look at when weighing where I spend my dollar.

And good, whole food doesn't have to be super expensive. Hopefully I can shed some light onto how to soften the hit your wallet takes at the register.

Tip #1: Purchase cheap cuts of meat.

A "lower quality" cut does not mean lower quality meat. You can get some really high quality meat for a lot cheaper if you opt for less fancy cuts. Instead of spending an arm and a leg on a filet from a local farm, buy the ground beef. Instead of individually packaged organic chicken breasts, buy the whole chicken. Better yet, get some beef jerky to snack on or have at lunchtime with some veggies. It has all the nutrients of beef at a fraction of the cost.

I have recently stumbled upon the chicken thigh as my new go-to option for dinner. Chicken thighs are so much cheaper than breasts. Plus, the thigh has so much more flavor!

I bought some bone-in chicken thighs from U.S. Wellness Meats and cooked them last night. They were absolutely delicious, and super simple. Here's the recipe I used:

Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs

Simple and delicious. And the nice thing about the bone-in thighs is that you can use the bones to make homemade chicken stock (yet another way to help your budget!). And when you buy your meat from a really great place like U.S.Wellness, you don't have to waste so much time trimming all of the thigh fat (which was one reason why I used to steer away from thighs...too much prep work). The bone-in thighs had plenty of meat and I did nothing to prepare them. I just put them on a baking sheet covered with foil and brushed them with the mustard glaze. The whole family approved!

Do a little price comparing and see what the real difference is when you use the cheaper cuts of meat. If it's only a buck or two, it may be worth your while to make the switch.

No comments: