Sunday, December 30, 2012

Two Days Left!

January 1st is getting closer and closer and I am getting more and more nervous! This time around I honestly can say I know what is in store for me. I know how difficult this journey is going to be and I am trying my best to stay one step ahead of the obstacles. But I know they are inevitable. I will have cravings, old habits creep up, naysayers who get in my head, and temptations at every corner. Giving up sugar is so much more than just the physical food. It's a lifestyle choice that is not considered "normal." And unlike other addictions, like drinking, gambling, drugs...you HAVE to eat. I just can't decide to never be around food anymore. And even though I could strip my house of absolutely everything that has sugar, I won't do that to my husband and kids. Going sugar free isn't just candy and cookies...it's anything that acts like sugar in the body. And for me, wheat and sugar go hand in hand. Oh and then there's my issue with dairy. Basically, I am not eating any sort of unrefined flour, dairy, gluten, or fruit in the beginning. And it's going to be TOUGH.

So I am taking this year to not only go sugar free, but to accomplish a lot of other projects I've been wanting to do for quite some time. One of my problems is eating/snacking while my two kids nap (you'd be amazed what I can pack away in just a 45 minute window). Here's what I hope to do instead:

Picture books - I have thousands of digital photos since my son arrived two and a half years ago. They need a home. And I didn't get any Christmas presents out this year so it's time to do some belated groveling with the fam.

Home decor - We've lived in this house a little over two years and I have bare walls and empty spaces everywhere.

Books - I miss reading. I haven't read a book since I was about 5 months pregnant with my now almost 8 month old daughter.

Correspondence - I used to pride myself on keeping in touch with friends and family, remembering birthdays, sending "just because" cards and little gifts. 2012 was just pathetic. I need to put some more work into these relationships.

I'm sure there are more things to do but this is a start. And so much of my time will be spent cooking and looking up new ideas for sugar-free meals that I am hoping keeping busy can help curb the cravings!

No comments: