Monday, March 25, 2013

Reason #7: Calling all Oprah fans!

Ok, so by now I think I've documented quite a few legit (I think) reasons for why I eat a very clean diet that is free of MOST sugars and gluten. And really, this last reason isn't anything new.

I like myself and I like my life when I am eating healthy and taking care of my body.

It seems simple, but for so many of us taking care of ourselves is difficult. It shouldn't be, but it is. There is so much pressure to succeed...be the best mother, be the best employee, be the best friend, family member, whatever. If you're not doing something productive every moment of the day then you are lazy. If you're not taking advantage of every fun activity available to you than you are wasting your life. We all live by deadlines and expectations that make us feel rushed, drained and unfulfilled. Well I shouldn't say "all" because there are people out there who are extremely content and living well-nourished fulfilled lives but unfortunately I think the bulk of our society is feeling a little stressed out.

I watch TV and see all of the commercials for energy drinks and fast food chains or meals you can zap in a microwave or health claims on foods that can't even claim to be "food." I'm to assume that people are eating this stuff and can't help but think there is a link between what we put into our systems and how we live our lives. I saw something on Facebook the other day that resonated with me: "You are what you eat. So don't be fast, cheap, easy or fake."

Now believe me, I KNOW that telling people to make all of their food and eat 95% of their meals at home is unrealistic for a lot of you. I'm no dummy. I stay at home with my kids and I devote a lot of time to my food. It's a choice I have made, and I feel lucky every day that I can spend time doing something I love. I do wish I had time to do other things, but food and health are at the top of my list and always will be. My house doesn't look great, my kids aren't always clean, and most days I leave the house without deodorant, brushed teeth or clean hair while wearing a T-shirt from 2006 and ripped jeans. This is one of the prices I pay for spending so much time peeling vegetables and cooking porridge.

But a big benefit is how much better I feel about myself when I have good food going through my system. And I honestly feel joy when I see my kids eating healthy food. I love spending time writing this blog and sharing my thoughts about all of these subjects. And I'm excited to some day turn this into a career for myself. I'm still very nervous about how that will all turn out. Right now, my loose time line is to start up a health coaching business by January of 2015. I'm not sure what direction I will take, but I do know by then I will need to seriously consider taking the plunge into the very scary unknown.

I also find that when I am eating well, I put more energy into trying to improve myself in other areas. I watch a lot of Oprah - I'm a sucker for her Super Soul Sunday series! I read her magazines, I try to stop and take deep breaths. I engage in deeper conversations with my friends about life, dreams, goals and do a lot of reflecting. For the most part, my head feels like it's on straighter, my thoughts feel more centered, and my emotions are more in check. Food truly is medicine, not of just the body, but of our mind and spirit as well. And with that, I'll end this series before I start writing about my animal spirit or sacred contracts.



Now it's time to brainstorm a new series of posts for every Monday. My options are:

1) Eating Well on a Budget
2) Spice/Herb Profiles (adding spices to your cooking will really open up those taste buds and make you excited about different ingredients!)
3) Breakfast Ideas

I'll choose one by next week. Stay tuned!

No comments: