Saturday, March 2, 2013

Smoothies

I've been struggling getting veggies into my diet lately. While I am cooking greens and eating sweet potatoes for dinner like a champ, I am struggling at lunch time. I do like salads but I'm not finding the motivation to prep them and eat them for lunch. I think I need warmer weather to get into that mode and this 2013 winter in Charlotte is actually quite rainy and chilly. I've been staring at my Vitamix for quite some time and decided today to put it to work.

I treated myself to a green juice at a local grocery store down here while my in-laws were helping me with the kids. I basically copied it this morning:

3/4 cucumber
4 pieces of celery (with leaves)
big handful of parsley
big handful of spinach
1 yellow apple
splash of water

Delicious. And the best part was, I had some leftover from breakfast and I sipped on that while I was feeding my kids their lunch. I think I've killed two birds with one stone here. I find that when my kids are eating I am picking at their meals. I'm sort of hungry for my own lunch but can't really sit down and enjoy a meal. So if I start making more smoothies in the morning I can sip on them with the kids. That will get me through to nap time where I can actually sit down and have my own lunch. So more vegetables and a possible solution to my overeating problem. There's also the emotional component but baby steps!

I did have to cook up a couple of eggs this morning because I was still a little hungry.But there are so many other smoothies with nut butters, avocados and/or milk that I'm sure I can find something that fills me up.

I'm feeling rather optimistic about this. See how it goes....

No comments: