Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Music Man 1,374...Mommy 1!

Victory!

As I have written in the past, trying to feed the Music Man has been a struggle for about two years. Ever since he started eating his own table food he has fought me on anything and everything. BUT, last week I earned a huge victory.

He ate salmon! And he actually ATE it. Like a lot. And he ate it for two dinners in a row. Oh baby, that had me on cloud nine for quite some time. I was patting myself so hard on the back that I bruised. Feeling like a triumphant mother doesn't happen too often these days, so I am soaking this in.

I made him the "Quick & Easy Salmon Cakes" from (you guessed it!) Practical Paleo.

Here's the recipe:

2 6-ounce cans of wild salmon (drained) *I order most of my salmon from Vital Choice.
2 eggs, beaten
3 T minced shallot (I just used a white onion)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T green onions, minced (I didn't have any so I left them out)
1 t Savory Spice Blend **
2 t gluten-free mustard (optional...I used regular yellow mustard. I plan on buying gluten-free once I go through the mustard in my fridge)
1-2 t coconut flour (optional...I used this, actually probably used a little more to get the consistency I wanted)
1/4 c coconut oil or butter

Combine salmon, eggs, shallots, garlic, green onions, Saturday Spice Blend, and mustard in a small mixing bowl. Add the flour you need to get the consistency you want. I wanted them a little firmer so added a couple of scoops.

In a large pan melt the oil and then just fry them up like patties. I guess it was about 3-4 minutes per side.

** Practical Paleo has a whole page of spice blends to make up for her recipes. They use easy ingredients and are great to have on hand. I basically just did a mix of rosemary, sage, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper. I like to get creative with my spice combos and don't really think you can go wrong. This is where you can feel like an actual "chef" and not just a person who does EXACTLY what a book tells you to do. There's something liberating about this for me :)


He ate these puppies up. Of course, he'll probably throw them to the floor next week but I'm adding them to my list of foods I know he can eat and that won't make him gag (broccoli and green beans are still on that list....)

No comments: