Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Paleo Approved Recipes

So now that I've decided to tweak the way I eat, I'm going to look back at some of the recipes I've been posting and determining what is Paleo-approved and how I can maybe change them to meet our new diet.

I need to remove all grains. Some people also do not eat potatoes but I am including those in our diet for now. I'm not eating white potatoes on the detox these next three weeks, but I'm actually eating sweet potatoes almost every day. I am still nursing and I need the extra carbs to keep my milk supply up.

First up are my stir-fry recipes. Basically they are Paleo-approved as long as I don't serve them over rice:

Flank Steak Stir-Fry with Asparagus and Red Peppers

Peanutty Stirfry  - I can't use peanut butter for this anymore. Peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts, so no go for Paleo. I'm going to try using a different nut butter with this one...thinking maybe cashew?

Chicken and Squash Stir-Fry

** I may try serving these with spaghetti squash or some day when I get super fancy and buy some expensive equipment I can make my own zucchini noodles. But that's low on the list...I'm trying to figure out how I can get my hands on a dehydrator in the next year. The Hubs has never bought me jewelry, the best present is when he just shrugs his shoulders when I purchase kitchen equipment and "weird" ingredients online.


The soups and stews are all fine:

Paleo Veggie Beef Chili  OK, I realized when copying and pasting this it obviously is OK since it's a Paleo recipe! I also love this because I can sneak liver in it with no one being the wiser.

Yikes - only one soup and stew recipe...gotta work on that.

The 2 slow cooker recipes I've posted so far need some adjustment...

Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken and Black Bean Tacos - No beans on Paleo. They are extremely difficult to digest. I think this dish would be fine without the beans, just cook chicken and the rest of the ingredients. I served it over rice and the Hubs used a wrap, but you could put it over a salad with some avocado and tomatoes and it would be delicious. You could also serve it along side some grilled broccoli, peppers and zucchini. Just make sure you get avocado and some good quality salsa whatever you do.

Sausage and Peppers - This one is a tough because who doesn't associate sausage and peppers with a crusty, buttery bun and some melted mozzarella dripping down the sides? That's the picture on this recipe post and it makes my mouth drool just thinking about it. But the flavors are delicious on their own, so just put it next to asparagus or maybe some crunchy kale chips.


Most anything can be Paleo-fied...a lot of times it's just increasing the amount of vegetables and eliminating the grain. I'm sure I'm going to stumble upon some bumps in the road, but luckily there are so many cookbooks and blogs out there about Paleo that I shouldn't have a problem creating delicious, satisfying meals for the fam.


No comments: