Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting through a long day

You know it's going to be a long week when three separate times during a Monday you are convinced it is a Wednesday. I got a much needed break from my daily grind over the holidays and this is my first 5 day week at home with both kiddos and although the day was relatively crisis-free...it was loooooong!

I found myself craving some different tastes today. One huge issue with eating no sugar, wheat, dairy or fruit is that unless you have the time to look up recipes, cook new things, or go shopping for new ingredients to experiment with, it does have the potential to get a little old. One of my many goals in being successful this time around is to make sure I get some variety in my diet. I need to keep my palette interested! However, with two little kids I knew it would be difficult to dive right into that so I told myself just to stay with the tried and true in the beginning when I know my motivation is high. I plan to branch a bit in the coming months, hopefully with more energy from not eating sugar!

But today I was feeling a little bored with my lunch item - the leftover chicken slow-cooker dish I posted earlier. It was the third time I had it in the past four days. Luckily my little peanut was eating avocado and had a bunch left-over so I could snack on that. And I had to dive into my celery sticks and hummus during nap time while I watched mindless television. Yes, I know this was something I was trying NOT to do during nap, but it's a tough habit to break. I have to be happy that I at least snacked with a sugar-free item.

I think tomorrow is going to be another long day. I forgot my supplement yet again (at 3:00 I am usually a zombie on the couch waiting for my peanut to wake me up from her short, short nap). So that is going on the litany of other to-dos I have taped to my kitchen cabinets. And I've got to drink more water. I think knowing ahead of time that I'm going to have a tough day isn't so bad. It's usually when something catches me off guard, like a stressful conversation with someone or an afternoon filled with temper tantrums, that I unknowingly start shoveling sugar-filled carb-like food into my mouth.

I'll share another tasty recipe tomorrow!

No comments: