Friday, January 11, 2013

Not every dish is a winner...

So the lentil chili didn't go over well last night with my husband. I had a feeling it wouldn't, and it wasn't because of the non-meat thing (although that never helps). I've noticed he doesn't care for dishes that are really jam-packed with lentils. This chili is essentially just spoonfuls of lentils that are seasoned with chili spices. I paired it with quinoa that I flavored with some sauteed mushrooms and garlic. Everything was sort of a soft texture and the two dishes didn't gel too well. I think I'm better off having it as a side dish, paired with some home made corn bread (if I ever decide I can handle corn) and some other protein. So I froze up a few portions for myself and will snack on the rest this weekend. I paired it with eggs today for breakfast.

Cooking is all about trial and error. And when you are cooking for a family, there's even more variables to account for. I am incredibly fortunate in that my husband will pretty much eat anything. As I've gone on this healthy food journey he's always been so supportive. He always says, "I'll eat anything you put in front of me. Just make sure I have some meat." I very rarely stray from that, and on the occasion that I put a meatless dish in front of him, he usually eats it anyway without too much griping.

The toughest person to feed in my house is without question my 2 1/2 year old son. Tough doesn't even begin to describe it. I plan to devote some of this blog to feeding kids healthy foods but right now I don't feel too confident in my abilities. I know every toddler is tough, but my oh my, little man is a challenge. More on that later.

A quick post today because it's been a long week full of withdrawal symptoms. I will hit the two week mark this Monday so hopefully more energized and calm days are coming soon!

No comments: