Friday, January 4, 2013

Water, Water, Water!

Day 4 and now my body is starting to notice something is up. These past few months I've been eating pretty unhealthy. Lots of holiday cookies, chips, and foods full of oils that aren't good for me. My body has been used to these low-nutrient, high-calorie foods and now I am filling it with more nutrient dense, but lower calorie foods and it's a little confused.

Whenever I try to eat a little healthier I run into this problem of feeling as though I am starving between meals (for the first few weeks). Now that I'm a little more educated, I know that this is just my blood sugar levels getting my body all confused. If I look at what I ate, I know that logically I shouldn't be hungry. But sometimes it's difficult to get through these periods.

Taking the supplement L-glutamine helps. I tend to have the most difficult time feeling satiated from late morning to early evening. Right now I am allowing myself to have two lunches. One around 11:30 or so and then another small meal a few hours later. Not necessarily a meal, but a decent sized snack. Some options are:

Hard-boiled egg
Nuts (mostly almonds, walnuts, cashews)
Small bowl of brown rice with butter
Celery and carrot sticks (sometime with hummus that I know has quality ingredients)
Couple of pieces of left-over meat. Usually chicken.

But the number one thing I do throughout the day to help ward off the headaches and stomach pains is drink a LOT of water.

Drinking water should be a daily habit of everyone. I am lucky to have grown up in a household where water was the primary beverage. Eating nutritious foods is great, but without water your body can't absorb the nutrients it needs. It helps bring oxygen to your brain so you can think clearer. It helps keep your joints healthy and lubricated - they need moisture to operate properly. The list goes on and on.

Water also fills you up. So if you're feeling hungry and know it's not time for a meal yet, or you can't get to a meal, drink water!

No comments: