Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Prep-ahead Meal #1

Ok so this meal isn't exactly "prep-ahead" but you can certainly do parts of it ahead of time and it is super simple to pull together at the end.

Grandma Sandy's Meatballs from a gluten-free blog. This is the Hubs' FAVORITE! Seriously, he's not one for showing much emotion, but I actually get a big grin on his face when he sees this heating up on the stove. It has a delicious mushroom sauce and he's in love with mushrooms.

I made a few changes for our house but if you follow the recipe as listed it will come out great. I use gluten-free bread crumbs (I may replace these with oats in the future). It makes a lot of meatballs, easily two meals for a family of four. I always take half of the meatballs and stick them in a zip-loc freezer bag to use again. Depending on how much mushroom sauce you like, you can stretch this out to two meals as well. The sauce actually freezes pretty well. You could certainly double the sauce and freeze for later as well.  And if you serve it with rice you can freeze a batch of rice as well. So actually, the whole meal could be frozen for later use!

I use arrowroot powder instead of the cornstarch (I try to avoid corn, especially when at the beginning stages of sugar-free) and I serve it with egg noodles for the Hubs and my Music Man. The sauce definitely is comfort food and it lends itself to warm, thick noodles! I eat it over rice, but  recently I've just been having the meatballs over a pile of cooked greens. I usually wilts greens with some onions and garlic for a side dish.

I think in the future I'll double the recipe and hopefully get 3-4 meals out of this.

No comments: