Saturday, January 19, 2013

Too Many Screens!

I woke up this morning craving pancakes. Uh-oh. The diet is already starting to feel old and I'm only three weeks in! And I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything I want to do:

* Cooking meals
* Cooking my kids' meals
* Organizing my recipes
* Creating a weekly (maybe monthly) menu plan
* Look for and try all the sugar-free recipes I find on Pinterest and the zillions of blogs and facebook pages I get notifications for
* Writing this blog
* Getting some "meat" into this blog (i.e. ingredient profiles, cooking tips, benefits of a whole foods diet)
* Read a book
* Clean up the 6 month old stains on my rugs
* Do laundry enough so I don't run out of underwear again
* Get the kids outside in between nap and food schedules
* Shower before my hair gets so greasy it can stand straight up
* Brush my teeth at least every other day

Time, time, time. Great intro to a Bengals song, but also what I find myself desperately needing these days. Back when I had my son I recognized that I was watching too much TV during the day. I always had it on in the background and it distracted me from getting tasks done in an orderly fashion. It also made it tougher to pay attention to my little baby. Amazing how they don't annoy you as much when you finally concede your time and give 100% of your attention to them and not to the Real Housewives. Now with the two of them I have noticed that it's not the TV screen, it's the computer screen that is sucking up precious minutes (OK, hours!) of my day.

Email, Facebook, Pinterest, blogs, news websites. A person can spend an entire day on the internet. Every time I open up my computer and go to my Pinterest page to look up old recipes for meal planning I end up pinning 10 more recipes, reading all the notifications I get on Facebook from other healthy mamas and pinning those recipes, and before I know it I haven't gotten one meal planned and have even more stuff on my pages to confuse me. It takes way too much time to plan. And every time I hear my email notification go off I rush to check it. Yes, it is super important to see that my Toys R Us Rewards points are available (which I never use!).

This sugar-free diet has made time even more important. So I'm going to try to take the same strategy I do with my phone. I turn my text alert off so that the only time I see text messages are when I walk by my phone or need to use it. I admit that I do still check it for texts but I don't let the texts interrupt something I am doing. I'm going to keep all the applications closed during the day. I wish I could just shut it off completely, but my son likes to listen to the music we have on iTunes. I'll open up the internet at night when the kids are in bed. People do try to get a hold of me on email sometimes so I'll check that on my phone maybe twice a day. I'm curious to see how much time this buys me. And I just realized I'm going to have to get organized with my meals cause I'll have to open it for recipes when I cook dinner. Ugh! This is going to be tough, but if I can go a year without sugar I can clearly go a day without the internet, right?!?

No comments: