Saturday, January 5, 2013

Recipe: Slow Cooker Rosemary Chicken

Here's another sugar-free meal that is easy to make. A lot of people tell me they don't have time to cook and are always looking for ways to have nutritious meals during a busy work week. This goes right in the slow cooker and is a pretty quick one to make. To make it even quicker, make the sauce, slice the onion, and trim your chicken the night before. Then in the morning you can quickly dice up your potato (I'm sure there are ways to pre-cut potatoes so that they don't start to oxidize, but I haven't looked into that yet) and put it together in about 5 minutes.

The hubs liked it, but it wasn't a home run for him. I got one of his typical, "it tastes fine" responses. When I pressed him a little more, he said the flavor was a little different for him. I think it was the rosemary. Rosemary is a really strong herb so if you're not a huge fan you have to watch how much you use. I used 6 sprigs (the recipe calls for 4, but I love a strong herby flavor) so next time I will tone it down. Also, this recipe calls for cheese (which I did not use) and I think that will probably help cut down the rosemary flavor.

I got this recipe from a blog called Sweet Peas and Pumpkins. The potatoes and green beans make this a really good balanced meal all in one pot:

http://blogs.familyeducation.com/blogs/sweet-pea-chef/slow-cooker-rosemary-chicken


Day 5 is going well. I'm actually pretty pleased with my lack of headaches this time around. I had read that each time you try to detox it will get easier and easier since I'm eating healthier than I did three years ago when I first did this. One problem I have is making sure I eat often enough. It's easier to ward off cravings when you never let yourself starve. But with two kids that have two schedules it's tough to have my meals at the right time. We just got back from the park with the kids, where they enjoyed a picnic lunch while my stomach growled. I need to find some more portable snack ideas to take with us in the future.


1 comment:

mom said...

Brooke,
Catching up....love reading your entries. Sounds like your doing well...easier than the first time. I look forward to trying the recipes....another benefit with sharing!
xoxo
Mom