Sunday, February 24, 2013

Confession

I cheated last night.

No! Say it isn't so!! You didn't even make it two months!

But, it was for a good cause:

Booze.

I am not a drinker. I used to drink in college and for a few years after college. And I did the whole drink-too-much multiple times a week thing. I had weekends after graduation where I basically drowned myself in alcohol with my college buddies and watched as it took longer and longer to recover as the years went by. Then around 27 or 28 I stopped drinking to the point of acting stupid. I was pregnant with my son when I was 29 and ever since I've gone from being a casual drinker to not really drinking at all. A big part of this is my healthy eating lifestyle, but also I just don't feel the need.

However, it's been nearly 18 months since I've had a real drink and it's been even longer since the Hubs and I have gone out to a bar, ordered some cocktails and relaxed and had fun together. My in-laws are in town so we had our babysitters all lined up and hit the town. I was all set to order straight vodka, rum or try whiskey for the first time (these hard liquors don't have sugar and although alcohol has the same effect on my body as sugar it wouldn't be necessarily "cheating") but I decided that instead of choking down something I was going to enjoy myself. I ordered a martini with vanilla vodka (most likely infused with sugar), rum, and a slash of pineapple (fruit, but concentrated high glycemic sugar). And it was absolutely delicious. I tried two more drinks (yes, three drinks total!! But honestly, we were out for a bit, I had a huge meal and you know those girly drinks are always watered down so I promise I wasn't dancing on tables or passed out on the bathroom floor) and had the best evening I've had in well over a year.

Now today will be tough. I can already tell I'm craving some sweets but that's another reason why I decided to splurge last night. The Hubs is home to steer me clear of any bad foods, and with company in the house helping me with the kids my stress levels are low and I won't binge during nap time since there will be people to talk to. But I do have to be super careful and not have any fruit today, drink tons of water, and I'm trying to eat tons of vegetables and other "grounding" type foods.

I don't plan on making this a habit, but I'd love if I can have a life style where I can cut loose every once in awhile with a drink or two. If I manage it correctly, I think I may be able to do this. So even though I cheated, I'm putting a tally in the victory column!

No comments: