Sunday, February 17, 2013

Soup Recipe #1

Chili. I think this is the best go-to meal that can satisfy any diner. Sometimes I feel like when I make a broth-based soup the Hubs doesn't think it fills him up enough. Chili can be done in the slow-cooker or quickly on the stove. And it freezes well and is delicious as left-overs. I've been trying a lot of different recipes lately to try and find my favorite chili that will make my top 20 list and finally found one:

Paleo Veggie Beef Chili found at Multiply Delicious. I added more chicken stock to this to make it a little less dense. Some of these chilies I've made have been so thick that I've opted for using them as a pasta sauce instead of just straight up chili. This calls for a half cup of stock, I probably used a cup, if not a little more.

The Multiple Delicious blog is one of the many new Paleo-based blogs. The Paleo diet, which is also known as the "caveman" diet, is the newest craze to hit the alternative-food as medicine-holistic universe. Basically, it's meat, vegetables and fruit. No grains or legumes whatsoever. While I totally agree with no gluten in a healthy diet, I'm still on the fence with no grains. I have a lot of books on hold at the library about the Paleo diet so I have to do my research. The online program I completed was mostly comprised of information last updated in 2008-09. Since then, Paleo has really taken off so I'm not as well versed in this.

But, I think having some grain-free meals is probably a good idea. They really are difficult to digest (if not prepared properly) and most commercial products you buy in the store are not soaked or sprouted. When I do eat grains, I take time to soak them (more on this later) and I do my best to avoid wheat and any pre-packaged grain product.




No comments: