Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My "They"


You ever find yourself in one of these conversations?

"I'm trying to decide when to turn our son's carseat around to facing front."
"They say you should wait until 1. Although they also say age 2."

"Wonder if the Eagles will be any good this year..."
"They say they are the new "Dream Team." (couldn't resist that one)

"I forgot to send a Thank You note to my aunt."
"You're fine. They say you have a year to get that done."

I find myself referencing "they" quite a bit. And more often than not, I'm not exactly sure who "they" are!

Probably leading experts, people I've heard on the news, or articles I've read. But I don't always know specifically who I am citing or who my friends are referring to when we are discussing issues on health, safety, etiquette, whatever.

So before I start unloading too much information into this blog, I thought I'd take a little time to tell you who my "THEY" are.

First off, I can't say for certain what I believe is absolutely correct. I'm sure if you google anything I type you'll find conflicting information about almost all of it. You may read some of this and question it or think I'm looney tunes. What I do know, is that I've read a lot, had some personal experiences, and these are the people and mindsets that sit well with me. For me, what I've learned from these people about health, food and overall well-being makes sense. Yes, they are mostly holistic approaches and for the most part, they do not agree with the Standard American Diet (SAD) or what the FDA or pharmaceutical companies have to offer.

I don't dislike doctors, and I absolutely think there is a place for modern western medicine. If I get hit by a car, please take me to a hospital and do whatever you need to do. Don't take me to the health food store and give me some kale to eat or rub chia seeds on my wounds. If I ever get extremely sick I do take prescription drugs. But I think our country (and those doctors) have some things to learn when it comes to preventative medicine and what we should be consuming to create a strong healthy immune system. I do believe that food is medicine, and that a lot of us have strayed away from that mindset.

I also fully admit that I don't always remember exactly why I eat certain things and don't eat others. I've been researching this topic for a few years now and the information does blend together, or I simply forget the specifics. I know that I don't eat hydrogenated oils, but if you asked me to explain in detail why I don't, well I may not be able to give you a detailed fact-based answer on the spot. So this blog is going to make me refresh my memory and get some information documented for future use.

Here are my "they":

Michael Pollan - This is the guy who got the ball rolling for me. In January of 2009 he was on Oprah and my mind....was....blown. He got me thinking about where my food comes from and the overall impact on my long-term health. I immediately went to Amazon and bought the books he was plugging: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto and Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. He is not a doctor or a nutritionist. He's a journalist who looked into our country's food system and has brought an awareness to the public about the agricultural business and the evolution of our food production. I love these two books because they spell out everything in a very simple, logical way that anyone can understand. You don't need a degree in biology or business to understand what he is trying to convey. His manifesto is simple: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Unfortunately this is not as simple as it should be and he really does need an entire book to explain it.


Marion Nestle - My favorite lecture from my IIN (Institute of Integrative Nutrition) program was one given by Marion Nestle. She is Paulette Goddard professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health, as well as a Professor of Sociology at New York University. She earned her Ph.D. in molecular biology and an M.P.H. in public health nutrition. Her class centered around food politics and it was incredibly eye-opening. I actually hope to write a whole post about that class one day because I think it'll really make you question everything you see on TV and in the supermarket. She talks about the deals big name companies cut with the FDA in order to put health claims on boxes or state "facts" on TV commercials. She also talks a bit about the media and how it targets children, which in my opinion, is unethical. She's written a few books on food politics and I'm waiting to get my hands on one from the library. But I do own a book she wrote on food and how to make your way through a supermarket. It's called What To Eat and my boy Michael Pollan says it is "Absolutely indispensable." I tend to agree. I still haven't made my way cover to cover, but I've definitely gone through a bunch of the chapters and think it's a valuable resource. (As far as I know, she has no relation to that other "Nestle"...)


John Robbins - I read the book The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World and this was my first real introduction to the vegetarian lifestyle. Moreover, a glimpse into just how much meat our country eats and what this can do to our short and long-term health. And lastly, how the meat industry impacts our environment. Although my courses at IIN offered a look at numerous dietary theories, I will say the majority of them leaned towards a vegetarian diet. At the time, I really considered going vegetarian and I started looking into it (through this book and other sources). I have yet to adopt a meatless diet, but I think once I sift through everything I've learned I am going to gradually wean myself from meat on a daily basis, and use it more as a side on my plate for added flavor to my meal. As I stated earlier, there is more to the meat issue than just the nutritional component. There is the treatment of animals and the impact our current practices have on the planet. (Ironically, John Robbins is part of the Robbins family (of Baskin Robbins). He writes a little in his book about how that all went down, every family has drama!)


Sally Fallon and Weston Price - Now these guys are definitely the most "out there" of anyone I have read about. And by out there, I mean compared to what our society considers normal food and eating habits. I don't think she and John Robbins would have a lot in common. I think Sally Fallon would bathe in bacon grease if she could. She has a wonderful cookbook that not only has recipes, but cooking methods and a lot of information about the nutritional value behind the foods that she eats. It's called Nourishing Traditions and is basically the cookbook Bible for anyone who is a believer of Weston Price. Weston Price was actually a dentist. Now before you go all, "Why would I listen to a dentist about food?" I want to point out that many doctors (not nutritionists) out there have taken all of a three hour course on nutrition. Anyway, in the 1930s, this dentist went around the world to study the foods and health of populations who were untouched by civilization. He then compared their health to people of the same race who had left the villages or tribes for civilization. The people in civilization began eating foods impacted by the industrial revolution (refined grains, pasteurized milk, canned foods and sugar). The results have led to a movement of people who are eating a more traditional diet, one based on local foods and ancient cooking methods. I'll write a lot more about Weston Price and the diet (including the oh so controversial raw milk) in a later post.


Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Joseph Mercola - Chances are you have heard of these two men. They are probably the biggest names out there when it comes to alternative, holistic lifestyle. They are also probably two of the richest. Especially Mercola. I think a lot of people have issues with him because they feel he's no better than big pharma in trying to get your money to buy all of his products. While I don't discount people's inklings, I do agree with a lot of his ideas. And his site is also full of interesting articles and videos that cover a large scope of topics. Dr. Weil isn't as bad with the product pushing, but you still come away from his site feeling like you have to take 200 pills a day to survive. I find both of these sites very overwhelming but I do like to check in on a monthly basis to see what they are saying.

So there "they" are: the backbone of my whole foods diet. I read and listen to an assortment of people, but when I really thought about the ideas and opinions that have been the most compelling and influential, these guys and gals came to mind.

No comments: