Wednesday, February 6, 2013

First Bump in the Road

Well I started to introduce fruit into my diet this month. Nothing crazy. Half an apple here, a handful of blueberries there, finishing off a kiwi that my kids didn't eat. I got a little nervous the first time I put apple in my oatmeal because I felt a little shaky a few hours later. It's tough to describe, but I start to feel really jittery and almost tingly through my body. Before I went strictly sugar-free, I only used to feel this after some chocolate late at night and I'd wake up pretty rattled at 2 or 3 AM.

Then a day or so later I noticed that I had some blueberries and wanted to dive into the container and eat every last one of them. It was a really strong craving. 

I've also been waking a bit at night and having a tough time falling asleep.

All of these incidents I was taking in stride and trying not to fixate on. I also reminded myself that my Little Peanut has been waking up really early to nurse (gotta love those growth spurts!) and that maybe this had me out of whack.

Then today, as I was out at the playground and then back at my house getting the kids ready for naps I felt the all too familiar sensation of my blood sugar plummeting. I got really dozy and felt like I had no energy and wanted to collapse. It's a different feeling than just being tired from lack of sleep or the daily grind, it's a feeling that my body chemistry isn't right. Basically, it sucks.

I'm trying not to get too disgruntled. I'm going to go off fruit again for a bit, not sure for how long. Then I'll try adding it in even slower. Maybe have a really small serving only once every couple of days. I have to remember that when I was off fruit those first 31 days I wasn't really missing it. My cravings really were dying out and it wasn't like I was dying to have that apple on the first day. I introduced it because fruit is good for you (although some of the reading out there suggests fructose can be quite damaging) and it does open up my options a bit. Maybe I'll just try to put something that has a pretty low glycemic index (pear, berries) in a mostly veggie smoothie once a week or so. 

Eh, we'll see how it goes. But for now, ciao fruit.

No comments: