Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stir-Fry Recipe #2

A stir-fry recipe is a great way to pull together a quick meal. For some reason I used to think a stir-fry was a lot of work and I would shy away from it. Then when I started to follow the Wellness Mama's template for her weekly meal plan and saw that once a week she did a stir-fry, well I figured I'd give it a shot. And now I realize the error of the my ways, they are easy and delicious!!

This recipe for Peanutty Stirfry comes from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins. It technically could fall into the "international" category for the week as well due to it's Asian flavors. I skipped the sugar and didn't feel like I was missing anything! I used bok choy and broccoli as my vegetables. It was actually my first time cooking with bok choy and I loved it! For some strange reason bok choy had intimidated me and I thought it was difficult to cook with. Um, no! And an added bonus, bok choy is a decent source of calcium and folate.

A lot of people think that cooking your own food is complicated and they sometimes get intimidated or nervous about trying to do it themselves. In writing this post, I can see that I also fall victim to some misconceptions about cooking. Somehow in the past few decades the kitchen has become this foreign entity and working with real food has been built up to be as complicated as rocket science. I hope as more people try to take control of their own health, those misconceptions can be erased and we'll start being a society that spends a little more time in the kitchen.

No comments: